Bion - Emotional Transformation
As part of NCSPP’s Foundations series, this first section of a two-part course will examine many of Bion's core concepts and situate them within his theory of emotional transformation, dreaming, and thinking. Alpha and beta elements; alpha function; container/contained; the contact barrier; the beta screen; the linkages of love, hate, and knowledge; and minus K are among the enduring contributions we will explore while applying them to ongoing clinical practice. Building on these core concepts, we will take up his concept of O and consider Bion’s recommendations on how best to cultivate a state of mind particularly suited to making contact with ongoing emotional truth and psychic reality. Finally, we will consider his thoughts on the concept of caesura and the importance of the transitive moment in therapeutic work. As an accompaniment to these major texts, we will read several of his clinical seminars, brief transcripts of his consulting on various cases.
- Participants will be able to apply specific techniques to help patients who are attacking emotional links.
- Participants will utilize techniques to assist patients in improving their thinking.
- Participants will acquire skills to more effectively help patients who are employing concrete thinking.
- Participants will be able apply dream interpretation skills with patients.
- Participants will be able to demonstrate the necessary skills to accurately analyze, diagnose and effectively treat disorders of thinking.
Charles Dithrich, Ph.D., is a faculty member and personal and supervising analyst at PINC. His writing, teaching, and consulting draws extensively on Bion and Winnicott, especially with regard to early states of being. He works with adults and children in North Oakland.
This course is for clinicians with moderate to extensive experience in clinical work with some background in the principles of psychoanalytic approaches.
Enrollees who cancel at least SEVEN DAYS prior to the event date will receive a refund minus a $35 administrative charge. No refunds will be allowed after this time. Transfer of registrations are not allowed.